The first granite stone laid for the Harbour walls took place on the 31st May 1817, the construction took forty-two years to complete at a cost of one million pounds (circa one billion euro today). For nearly one hundred years it was the largest man made Harbour in the world. The granite was excavated locally, mainly from Dalkey quarry and today, two hundred years later it is still considered to be an amazing feat of engineering.
Further history on dlharbour.ie.
These sterling silver hallmarked cufflinks are set with granite discovered beneath the East Pier during the resurfacing and is of the finest masonry quality. The granite has been precision cut and highly polished before setting. The special mark to celebrate the bicentenary was applied by the Assay Office in Dublin Castle and depicts the town and the arms of the Harbour.
DID YOU KNOW...
• Captain Bligh of “Bounty” fame was the hydrographer (marine surveyor) of Dublin Bay and Dun Laoghaire before the Harbour was built in 1800.
• A Scotsman John Rennie, an outstanding engineer and designer was responsible for the building of the Harbour. His work also included London Bridge and Waterloo Bridge.
• The world’s first commuter railway ran from Dublin to Dun Laoghaire Harbour in 1834.
• More than two thirds of the granite in Dun Laoghaire Harbour is under water.
• Dun Laoghaire Harbour encloses an area just over one million square metres and is reputed to be the most walked walk in Ireland.
• It was the largest manmade harbour in the world for over 100 years.