The first granite stone laid for the Harbour in Dun Laoghaire took place on the 31st May 1817, the construction took forty-two years to complete at a cost of one million pounds (circa one billion euro today).
For nearly one hundred years it was the largest man made Harbour in the world. The Lighthouse was constructed at the end of the East Pier in 1847 at a cost of £937.00, it stands 41 feet above high water and had an output of 12,000 candle power. The Lighthouse is still a source of solace and safety to all seafarers.
History of the Harbour on dlharbour.ie.
This sterling silver hallmarked bookmark is an exact image of the lighthouse on the East Pier in Dun Laoghaire. It has a special hall- mark to celebrate the bicentenary, applied by the Assay Office in Dublin Castle and depicts the town and the arms of the harbour joined together.
DID YOU KNOW...
• Captain Bligh of “Bounty” fame was the hydrographer (marine surveyor) of Dublin Bay and Dun Laoghaire before the Harbour was built in 1817.
• A Scotsman John Rennie, an outstanding engineer and designer was responsible for the building of the Harbour. His work also included London Bridge and Waterloo Bridge.
• The world’s first commuter railway ran from Dublin to Dun Laoghaire Harbour in 1834.
• More than two thirds of the granite in Dun Laoghaire Harbour is under water.
• Dun Laoghaire Harbour encloses an area just over one million square metres and is reputed to be the most walked walk in Ireland.
• It was the largest manmade harbour in the world for over 100 years.